Funding Feminism: Monied Women, Philanthropy, and the Women’s Movement, 1870-1967
Women’s Fund Annual Event 2018 – The Power of Philanthropy with Joan Marie Johnson, PhD.
Women. Voting. Democracy.
June 6, 2018
A Pink Wave in 2018?
Record numbers of women running
- U.S. House of Representatives
- 475 women have filed
- Up from previous record of 298 in 2012
- U.S. Senate
- 42 women filed, perhaps up to 47
- Up from 40 in 2016
- 50 filed, perhaps 60+
- Running in 35 of 36 states electing governor in 2018
- Up from record of 34 in 1994
Oddities and Realities – House
- 47 women are challenging male incumbents in a party primary
- 55 women are challenging women incumbents in a primary
- 82 primaries have more than one woman running
- 26 woman v. woman races
- Four women are running for U.S. Senate in Arizona – two Democrats and two Republicans
Pink Wave is Mostly Blue
Women Still Swamped By Men